Featuring your product in a movie or TV show may seem impossible if you’re a small business owner, but with these tips you can get started in just a few simple steps.
- A great story is just as important as an effective product for engaging customers and willing to invest in your business.
- Social media marketing is an effective and affordable way to quickly generate interest in your products.
- In general, the easiest products to include in movies or on television are clothing, accessories and footwear.
- This article is aimed at entrepreneurs who create and sell their own products and want to generate a lot of interest in them quickly.
mediaindonesia.net– Many entrepreneurs with a product to sell have fantasized about seeing it in a popular movie, TV show, or even a viral post on social media. Not only is it an important milestone to see your product on display, but it can also influence consumer purchasing decisions.
Alexander Mendeluk, Chase Hamilton, Ashley Haber and Marley Marotta are the founders of SpiritHoods, a collection of original animal-inspired fur hats. They have seen their product worn by celebrities such as rapper Snoop Dogg and rocker Pete Wentz. SpiritHood also appeared on Late Night With Conan O’Brien and Keeping Up With the Kardashians. The company’s product positioning efforts didn’t cost the founders much more than their time and some gifts. Mendeluk said he took advantage of the company’s location in Los Angeles by contacting everyone they know to try and get the product into the hands of celebrities. They also send them as gifts to celebrities.
Likewise, small businesses using social media marketing are approaching influencers for partnerships that promote their products to millions of followers. But that’s only half the battle. Celebrities and influencers need to really like the product for it to impact the business. They are also more likely to interact with brands that have a story behind what they are doing, according to Mendeluk.
“The philanthropic side of a company is extremely important,” he told Business News Daily. “Celebrities are attracted to it because they are active in various causes.”
Put the product first, then meet the celebrities
Eric Fleet, founder and CEO of sustainable fashion company Threads for Thought, agrees that a good background can help bring your products in front of the camera. Threads for Thought products, especially their graphic tees, have been popular with celebrities and stylists since the company’s inception. The shirts have appeared on 90210, How I Met Your Mother, Parks and Recreation, and The Walking Dead. However, Threads for Thought did nothing to promote the products, Fleet said. The stylists bought them all at retail.
Fleet believes stylists are inspired by the company’s history – it creates products using sustainable business practices and helps its suppliers work towards greener and cleaner goals.
“Some of them know the social side of the company,” he said. “Stylists who shop all the time like our story and want to support it.”
But Fleet knows the story is as good as the products. Without a great product, your business won’t get noticed no matter how good your business practices are.
“You have to put fashion first,” he told Business News Daily. “Your message alone will sell your product.”
Fleet isn’t the only one who knows that having a great product is the real key to making it into movies and television. Sarah Shaw has learned that lesson firsthand. The former bag designer’s product lines hit the mark when one of her bags appeared in the movie Legally Blonde.
Shaw’s product was not only featured in the film, it was also used in the promotional poster. Before she knew it, Shaw’s bag was sold by retailers, including Nordstrom, who promoted it with a copy of the movie poster as a giveaway.
For Shaw, positioning was a big deal, even though she had previously worked in the film industry. Today, as the owner of the small business consulting firm Entreprenette, you offer a free product placement service to any small business owner who wishes to join. The service, Instantly Famous, fuels requests for product placement from show business guys to regular folks struggling to break down the Hollywood door.
Shaw offered Business News Daily readers some tips on how to manage product positioning on your own:
- The easiest products to include in movies or on television are clothing, accessories and footwear. An actor wearing your product will also make an impression on you when you approach the press or the shops. The second simplest is a prop or set.
- Contact the production office to find out who the costume designer, property manager or decorator is (depending on your needs), then send them your catalogs or line sheets with a note saying you’d like to show them your line and you can offer them wholesale or even donate the products.
- Find a list of current or upcoming shows by ordering Production Weekly for $ 75 a month. It has all the contact information you need for each show, so you can choose the right ones for your particular collection.
- If they choose to use your product, be sure to deliver it on time; otherwise, you may find yourself blacklisted.
- If you get a location, follow along to see if you can get a photo. They won’t always be able to get you one, so ask once and then wait. When the movie or TV show comes out, take advantage of that PR moment by creating a fact sheet that includes the product, the celebrity, and the show. Send it to all the outlets and shops where you sell and watch the money come in!
socially famous products
Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok offer the space to engage with audiences of all ages and create engaging content to market your products.
Due to the platform’s algorithms, there is no particular key to going viral. However, there are strategies you can use to increase product awareness on social media and user engagement with business content.
1. Know where to find your audience.
Do your research before trying to promote your product on social media. Each social media platform differs in user demographics. Spend time on the platform as a user to get an idea of what content is being posted, who interacts with it, and how. Immersive search is the most effective way to ensure that your product’s positioning and content is seen by those you want to buy or post on the product.
2. Take advantage of the features of each platform.
Each social media platform has a number of features that allow users to participate in various ways. There are text posting features with attractive reaction buttons, the ability to use hashtags to rate a post or link it to a larger conversation taking place online, photo and video sharing, and a “live” feature that allows users to converse with your followers in real time.
Posting on social media regularly is one way to increase product awareness. Posts can include a live Q&A session with followers, a preview of upcoming new products, or a giveaway post asking users to join for tickets.
3. Use influencer marketing.
One of the most effective ways to increase product awareness is through influencer marketing. There are various types of influencers, ranging from a nano-influencer who has 10,000 followers or less to a mega-influencer who has a million followers or more. Most influencers, also known as content creators, have niche audiences that can be extremely helpful for brands looking to bring their products to a specific market. In exchange for some form of payment agreed upon by both parties, the influencer will create content promoting the brand’s product, links to social media pages or website, and provide an honest review.
Sponsored content can reach thousands of people in a matter of hours, making influencer marketing one of the smartest ways to get your product out there.